Hello Folks - Our Vacation in Romania

thomas_fd

Hi everybody!

I am Thomas from Gremany. My friend and myself, we plan a vacation trip to the Romania starting in Germany on the 14th August 2006.

We will probably arrive in Satu Mare on the 16th...

We plan to make a trip around the Maramuresh and Eastern Carpate mountain area.

Have you got any good tips or hints for our motorbike trip?

We want to exploer the area and get some impressions about your country, the carpate mountains, and, last but not least about the people.

The route is not clear yet.

All the best

Thomas

P. S. Answers in German or English are most welcome... sorry, but I do not speak Romanian....

Interesting places in Maramures: Barsana monastery and Sapanta Merry Cemetery. Around Sapanta there is also a very tall wood church (I think the tallest in the country).

In Sighetu Marmatiei you can also visit an ex communist political prison which was restored a few years ago. It will still give you frills and you can only imagine how it was before restoring...

And take care in Maramures: small roads, plenty of people and animals. But wonderful scenery. And people are very relaxed and hospitable there. They are never in a hurry from my experience.

Have fun!

Edited by mihaig

Interesting places in Maramures: Barsana monastery and Sapanta Merry Cemetery. Around Sapanta there is also a very tall wood church (I think the tallest in the country).

And take care in Maramures: small roads, plenty of people and animals. But wonderful scenery. And people are very relaxed there. They are never in a hurry from my experience.

Have fun!

102130[/snapback]

Thanks for your good wishes!

We indeed plan to got towards Sapanta first and then find a good way down to the big lake ( Lzvorul Munteliu) and then maybe go to Piatra Neamt and Iasi to see the Moldau area.

Also Bicaz ant the red lake are planned ...

The rest is still open.... we've got about 10 days...

Edited by thomas_fd

@Dan

Regarding your good advices:

Thank You! I will keep them in mind.

Regarding your travel suggestions:

We Have about 10 days to spend in the country. Our main goal is to explore the Maramures and the Eastern Carpate mountains with our BMW motorbikes (both K100 type therefore no off-road trips).

I have no idea, how long this will take us, but once we are near Brasov, we might consider a one or two day trip to the shore. But this all depends on the time it takes to get there.

If it's feasable, of course, we will do so. The danube delta is for sure beautiful, but maybe a little boring for motorbike riding... but I don't know....

@all

How would you recommend to arrange stays and stops regarding the safety of our motorbikes? Is there a high theft risk for 25 year old motorbikes? What measures are most effective?

We do intend to stay overnight outside of the big cities, but, of course, we will have a few stops for sightseeing etc.

Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks for all your help so far and in advance for any further hints....

All the best

Thomas

Hey Thomas!

I'm from Iasi and I could be your guide to explore this town and I would  introduce you to the moto group here...sociable and nice people...we'd feel glad to meet you.  :blink:

Have a great journey!

103154[/snapback]

Hey Laura,

...sounds great... I'll send you a PM with my data.

All the best

Thomas